Today I got a gift from my son. We were snuggling on the couch and I gave him a few little Eskimo kisses on his nose....then on his cheek...then on his neck. He giggled and clearly enjoyed the gentle way the kisses tickled. "Do that again, mommy." And so I did. And again. After the 4th time he wrapped his little arms around my neck and said those magic words, "I love you, mommy!" "I love you too, Noah!"
Music to my ears. My son has never said those words thoughtlessly. Even in his early verbal years when kids are prone to imitate, he never uttered an "I wuv you" in response to hearing it from me. One night as I kissed Noah good night and told him "I love you" and heard nothing in return, I coaxed him into it. "Usually when someone says that, the other person says it back because it makes them feel nice." He said it back, but I did not feel nice because I knew it had been coaxed. I vowed never to do that again! Which makes every single "I love you" so sweet because he never says it "just because." And I just savor it and hold it gently tucked away in a corner of my heart.
I love you, Noah!
No comments:
Post a Comment